Staredit Network > Forums > Modding Assistance > Topic: Expanding unit slot limit
Expanding unit slot limit
Jan 9 2009, 4:43 pm
By: Biophysicist  

Jan 9 2009, 4:43 pm Biophysicist Post #1

I'm making a mod which has an insane number of units. In the mod, each units can be equipped with up to two special abilities. The only way to do this is to use morphing. For example: if a unit equips Psionic Storm, morph into a unit which has Psionic Storm; if the same unit then equips StimPacks, morph it into a unit which has both Psionic Storm and StimPacks. There are three base units, and I need eight unit slots for special units like resources. Anyway, the problem with this is that it requires 3(n^2 + 1) +8 unit slots, where n in the number of spells available for equipping. There are 228 (I think, I might be off by a little bit) unit slots by default (and a lot of those have weird behaviors), meaning that I'm limited to 8 spells at the most, and there are probably enough units with weird behaviors (like Queens, which only attack Command Centers) that I'd be limited to 7. I would like many more than this (I was hoping for at least 10 spells), but there aren't enough unit slots for this.

Anyway, my question is, is there any way to create new unit slots? Or could someone write a plugin/expander or something to let me do this? (*pokes DoA*) I don't need more iscript slots, flingy.dat slots, or anything like that, just unit slots.

Anyone who can help me will earn my eternal gratitude. *pokes DoA again*

None.

Jan 9 2009, 4:48 pm Excalibur Post #2

The sword and the faith

Couldn't you use the function of a button that opens another button set to house any spells that don't fit in the first slot? Like what they do with workers constructing buildings. Actually I don't know if it's restricted to just the workers and the building lists, but if you aren't using all of them, that might work too.

SEN Global Moderator and Resident Zealot
-------------------------
The sword and the faith.

:ex:
Sector 12
My stream, live PC building and tech discussion.

Jan 9 2009, 4:51 pm Corbo Post #3

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

No it's not.

It's called sub menus, Ex.
And almost everyone has done it before. I did it in CorboboCraft as part of in-unit upgrading system voyager also did it on many of his mods, Aga did it... and so on.

All you do if just give a random button set with all your buttons to an unused unit and use a button with the "Change displayed button" action pointing to your unused unit using the button set.

fuck you all

Jan 9 2009, 4:55 pm Biophysicist Post #4

That's not what I meant... I don't mean buttons, I mean unit slots. Like, the Marine's ID is a unit slot. The Firebat's ID is a unit slot. The Jump Gate's ID is a unit slot. Can you make more unit slots like that, and how?

None.

Jan 9 2009, 5:03 pm Corbo Post #5

ALL PRAISE YOUR SUPREME LORD CORBO

No.

You can't use unused ones like I said?

fuck you all

Jan 9 2009, 5:06 pm Biophysicist Post #6

You can't use unused ones like I said?
... That 228 units total includes unused ones...

Let me put it this way: I have seven spells. That takes up 158 unit slots. 8 spells would take up 203 unit slots, but there are a bunch of units with weird behaviors so I'd probably run out. 10 spells, which is my goal, would take up 308 units. There are only 228 unit slots.

None.

Jan 9 2009, 6:36 pm Hercanic Post #7

STF mod creator, Modcrafters.com admin, CampaignCreations.org staff

Dear TassadarZeratul:
Answer this: what is most important in your mod, that players can have many (10) spells, or that they can get those spells in any order? Instead of being able to select any upgrade any time, you could vastly cut down on the number units required, and thus increase the amount of spells your units can have in the end, by funneling players down choice paths. Constrict the amount of branches from each unit in your web of units, and you'll save tons of unit slots.

Jan 9 2009, 7:18 pm poiuy_qwert Post #8

PyMS and ProTRG developer

To answer your question, no, it would be insanely hard to make more unit "slots".

Options
  Back to forum